An APN is a gateway from your carrier’s cellular network to another network, the APN you configure determines the IP address that your Opengear device is assigned. When you purchase your cellular plan, your carrier will provide you with various settings. These settings vary by carrier. In most cases, to configure your cellular modem to connect to your carrier the only information required is the APN and sometimes a username and password – all other fields may be left at their defaults.
As the unlocked Netgear Nighthawk M1 router could work with any carriers, setting the APN is neccessary sometime. Take a look at the following steps to set the APN option.
Specify Cellular Settings From the NETGEAR Mobile App
1. On your smartphone, connect to the mobile router’s WiFi network.
2. Launch the NETGEAR Mobile app.
3. Swipe down.
The dashboard displays.
4. Tap Settings.
5. Tap Cellular.
The Cellular page displays. Domestic Data is selected by default.
6. To turn domestic data on and off, tap Domestic Data.
7. To turn roaming on and off, tap International Roaming.
8. To add an APN, do the following:
a. Tap APN.
b. Tap +.
The Add a new APN page displays.
c. Complete the settings.
d. Tap Add.
The APN is added.
Specify Cellular Settings From a Web Browser
To specify cellular settings:
1. From a computer that is connected to your network, launch a web browser.
2. Enter http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1.
A login page displays.
3. Enter the administrator login password.
4. Select SETTINGS > Advanced Settings > Cellular.
5. Change the settings as needed.
6. To add an Access Point Name (APN) with its profile settings, do the following:
a. Click the ADD button
b. Complete the fields.
c. Click the ADD button.
The Cellular page displays the APN.
d. To make this APN the active APN, click the radio button next to the APN name.
e. Click the SAVE button.
The APN is now the active APN. The Cellular Settings page also displays a check box next to the new APN name. This check box lets you select the APN so that you can delete it.
The page does not display a check box next to the default Telstra Internet APN name because you cannot delete that APN.
7. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.