Port forwarding is an excellent way to preserve public IP addresses. It can protect servers and clients from unwanted access, “hide” the services and servers available on a network, and limit access to and from a network. It is transparent to the end user and adds an extra layer of security to networks. In short, port forwarding is used to keep unwanted traffic off networks.
Nighthawk M1 mobile router supports port forwarding. If your computer is hosting a server, you can enable port forwarding so that other users can access the server. This tutorial will show you how do the port forwarding for the Netgear M1.
1. From a computer that is connected to your network, launch a web browser. and enter http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1.
2. Enter the administrator login password at the login page.
3. Select SETTINGS > Router > Port Forwarding.
4. Select the Enable radio button. Then you will refer to the page of Port Forwarding list. Incoming traffic is forwarded to specific ports and devices on your network using their local IP addresses.
5. To add a port forwarding address, click the ADD button. The ADD SERVICE page displays.
6. Enter the following port forwarding information:
– Rule Name. Enter a descriptive name.
– IP Address. Enter the IP address of the connected device.
– Port. Enter the port number that the application uses.
– Protocol. If you are unsure, select TCP.
7. Click the ADD button to save the settings.